Calendar of Upcoming Community Events
• Lunch & Learn: Topic — Self Defense: Noon to 12:30 p.m.; Wednesday, April 8 at OSF Saint Anthony’s Health Center, Perpetual Help Center, and Wednesday, April 15 at OSF Saint Clare’s Medical Office Building, Auditorium B. Free boxed lunch provided. To register: 465-2264.
• Stroke Club: Wednesday, April 8; 6:15 p.m.; OSF Saint Clare’s Hospital. Call 463-5259.
• Grief Support: Friday, April 10; 1 p.m.; OSF Saint Anthony’s Health Center. 463-5636.
• New! Fit & Flexible: Six-week program begins Monday, April 13; 6 to 7 p.m.; OSF Saint Clare’s Medical Office Building, Ground Level, Sports Therapy Gym. Emphasizes low intensity, gentle stretching and relaxation exercises. May be especially beneficial for people with fibromyalgia or mild back problems. $15 for six sessions. Registration limited. To register: 465-2264.
• MVRBC Blood Drive: Wednesday, April 15; 9 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.; OSF Saint Anthony’s Health Center; Third Floor. Free t-shirt for the first 40 donors! For information, call 618-474-6207.
• Lymphedema Support Group: Thursday, April 16; 6:30 p.m.; OSF Saint Clare’s Medical Office Building. Facilitated by certified lymphedema therapists. To register, call 463-5171.
• Caring Circle Cancer Education & Support Group for Women: Saturday, April 18; 10 a.m. to Noon. Topic — Create and Reflect: Painting with Jenn Grassle at Cheerful Canvas, located at 627 East Fifth Street, Alton. Cost is $30 per person. Please bring a snack and soft drink. There will also be a discussion of the book distributed in February. For information, and to register: 474-4855.
• Freedom From Smoking: 8-week program begins Monday, April 20; 6 to 8 p.m.; OSF Saint Clare’s Medical Office Building, Auditorium. Held in conjunction with The American Lung Association, this free 8-week smoking cessation program is led by a trained smoking cessation instructor. Free health screenings available during the 8-week session. To register, call 465-2264.
• Breastfeeding Class: Monday, April 20; 7p.m., OSF Saint Anthony’s Health Center. Free when delivering at OSF Saint Anthony’s Women’s Pavilion. To register, call 465-2229.
• CPR Training – Heartsaver: Tuesday, April 21; 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; $35 | Healthcare Provider: Thursday, April 23; 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.; $47. Please register in advance, by calling 465-2264.
• The Cassella Volunteer Training Program for OSF Saint Anthony’s Hospice: April 22 & 23; 5 to 9 p.m. each evening; OSF Saint Clare’s Medical Office Building, Auditorium. Training in all aspects of hospice: confidentiality, spirituality, communication, understanding of diseases and conditions, pastoral care, and bereavement. Light snacks provided. To register, call 463-5636.
• Free Skin Cancer Screening: Wednesday, April 29; 4:15 p.m.; OSF Saint Clare’s Hospital. Appointments with Noor Ahmed, M.D., Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon. Call 465-2264.
• Adult Day Care Support Group: Thursday, April 30; 1 p.m.; OSF Saint Clare’s Hospital. For families and caregivers of those living with Alzheimer’s or chronic illness. Call 463-5333.